During today’s Nindies Showcase, Nintendo announced a handful of upcoming indie games coming to the Nintendo Switch. One of which comes from the developers at Lienzo, called Mulaka. The game will be playable at PAX West and you can view the full trailer below. The trailer showcases the character Sukurúame’s abilities, including the option to transform into animals such as bears and birds. The game was originally slated to drop for the PS4, PC and Xbox One, but with the Switch’s flexibility to play on-the-go, a game such as Mulaka would be a perfect fit on the console.
PAX West is just around the corner and with it comes some exciting indie news. Lienzo announced today that 3D action-adventure game Mulaka will bring the rich indigenous culture of the Tarahumara to Nintendo Switch in early 2018.
Originally slated for launch on PC, PS4 and Xbox One, Mulaka will also join the ranks of Nintendo’s portable console as it shares the stories of this legendary northern Mexico culture, renowned for their “superhuman” running talent. Embracing a colourful and intricate mythology in an equally vibrant, low-poly visual style, the energy, locales, language and stories of the Tarahumara will come to life for the first time in a video game.
Mulaka follows the journey of a Sukurúame – a Tarahumara shaman – as he fights back the foulness corrupting the land. Whether harnessing the culture’s running prowess to engage in fast-paced platforming and hand-to-hand combat, or drawing upon the powers of demigods to transform and approach the Sierra Tarahumara from a different perspective, Mulaka pulls from detailed research to present an authentic representation of Tarahumara culture.
- Become the legend: Harness the renowned athletic talents of the Tarahumara as you engage in fast-paced platforming and hand-to-hand combat.
- Explore Sierra Tarahumara: Traverse a 3D world inspired by the legendary, real-life landscapes of northern Mexico, rendered in a vibrant, low-poly visual style.
- Based on real mythology: Draw upon the powers of demigods and battle fearsome creatures pulled from the rich lore of the Tarahumara people.
- Live the culture: From narration in their indigenous language, to music unique to the region, experience an authentic representation of Tarahumara culture.
- Mix up your gameplay: Leverage the Tarahumara’s physical prowess, demigod transformations, puzzle-solving and the crafting of magic potions as you save humanity from the corruption plaguing it.
Mulaka drops early 2018.