There’s been some rumbling concerning the Star Wars brain trust meeting in January and the expectation of Kathleen Kennedy announcing new anthology projects at Star Wars Celebration this month in Orlando.
A possible report from Star Wars News Net (posted on Thursday, not part of April Fools) might be revealing what those plans could be. Take with a grain of salt as usual, but this does sound to line up with other things we’ve heard about potential future plans.
First up, it does look like the studio is indeed interested in a single Kenobi movie with Ewan McGregor back in the role.
Kathleen Kennedy and the rest of Lucasfilm fully intend to make an Obi-Wan movie set between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope, with Ewan McGregor in tow.
I want to emphasize that it’s a movie, singular – not a trilogy.
Rogue One’s Gareth Edwards could be returning to the director’s chair, as Kathleen Kennedy was happy with his work on that film.
An announcement of an Obi-Wan movie might just be one of the big surprises at Celebration Orlando.
This is actually the first actual rumbling that studio is pursuing a Kenobi standalone film. While Ewan McGregor has repeatedly stated his interest and fans full-heartedly supporting the idea.
“It would be fun to film that story now I’m older,” McEwan explained, “I’d be the right age. I’m forty-five, Alec Guinness was what, sixty? I could do two of them (laughs)!”
“I hope that they’re going to explore different genres under the Star Wars banner. And one of those could be an Obi-Wan Kenobi feature film. Or two! The Obi-Wan Kenobi Story Part 1 and Part 2!”
A trade report revealed the studio hadn’t given much thought to it until recently.
Edwards has suggested he’d like to tackle a Kenobi film last year.
“To be honest, Rogue One is the period I love. It’s connecting to the original New Hope. If someone made other films in that era – and I don’t necessarily think this is happening, I have no inside knowledge – but that desire to see Obi-Wan Kenobi. Tattooine, basically, I love. As a kid I remember wanting to grow up there; anything in that “Original Trilogy” era I am just besotted with, and it’s just like going back home to your childhood.”
After Rogue One crossing the billion-dollar mark at the box office, it’s unlikely that the studio would be opposed to his return. This might also explain why Gareth exited the director’s chair of Godzilla: King of The Monsters.
We mentioned back in December that Lucasfilm was looking to resurrect Josh Trank’s Boba Fett movie and this report seems to support that. Kennedy has assured fans that Fett was still a “high priority” and it’s unlikely they would have scrapped the project entirely after Trank’s exit.
“Don’t worry: Boba Fett is a high priority on our list, please wait. But seeing how the Ewoks could return is a little harder to imagine. It is quite difficult to give the many stars of Star Wars their own stories on film.”
“It’s still one of the stories that we absolutely want to tell,” she says. “There is a lot of innovative technology in and around what it is we’re doing with that story, so for a lot of reasons, we were comfortable postponing that. But we’re definitely still developing it.”
Fett had been expected to be the second anthology film with Han Solo recently jumping ahead of it.
Rest assured, the Boba Fett movie is not dead.
As far as I can tell, the movie will most likely not be an origin story.
It’s not strictly a Boba Fett movie, but a film about an ensemble of bounty hunters on an adventure.
It sounds as though Fett is just one important component to the movie as opposed to the central character.
The project is basically going to use the same pitch that it would have had if Trank had directed it. A script was not even ready at the point where Trank would have talked about his movie at Celebration Anaheim, the project has received further development thanks to Kinberg’s efforts.
A third project is also being said to be in development taking more of a YA/romance take on Star Wars and most likely could be directed by a female director. Kennedy had been meeting with multiple female filmmakers taking pitch meetings.
This Star Wars project is going to target the young-adult audience and have slight romantic themes to it.
Said story is a tragedy…the “love story” angle has more in common with Han & Leia’s romance in The Empire Strikes Back than anything else.
This is the first major step toward getting a Star Wars movie that’s directed by a woman.
I’m curious if this might pursue a story involving comic book Legacy character Cade Skywalker who romanced the likes of Darth Talon and Deliah Blue. This could be an excellent excuse to move into the far future in the Star Wars universe or the Old Republic allowing for the Sith Empire to be explored.
As mentioned at the top, treat as a rumor but this should make fans happy to know that there could be a mix of saga and original stories on the way from Lucasfilm.
SOURCE: STAR WARS NEWS NET