‘Boba Fett’ Movie Had Sizzle Footage Ready For Celebration 2015; Will He Be Next After ‘Solo’?

Nov 22, 2016

SHARE THIS POST

It looks like the Rogue One teaser wasn’t the only footage that was going to be revealed at Star Wars Celebration back in 2015, as EW has learned that a sizzle reel from Josh Trank’s Boba Fett movie was also going to debut.

Among the titles that have been considered is a Boba Fett/bounty hunter movie that director Josh Trank was hired to make before he dropped out following the troubled production of his Fantastic Four reboot. It came so close to being officially announced, Lucasfilm even prepped a teaser reel to show at Star Wars Celebration in spring of 2015, sources tell EW. At the last minute, the split with Trank backburnered the project.

Due to a PR nightmare stemming from his invovlement with Fantastic Four he eventually exited the project and removed himself from Celebration. The film was placed on hold and Han Solo took it’s place as the second standalone release, shooting early next year.

It was said the project would take place within the world of bounty hunters and focus on multiple characters that are in that sandbox.

Have you seen this:
Three Jokers Sequel Is Coming from Geoff Johns & Jason Fabok

We don’t exactly see Lucasfilm shelving the Boba Fett project because of the departure of director Josh Trank, as like with Marvel the characters are bigger than the directors tackling them. Lucasfilm head Kathleen Kennedy briefly mentioned last year that Boba Fett was still a “high priority” for the studio.

There were reports that Lucasfilm signed-up Alden Ehrenreich for a multiple picture deal, with a Han Solo trilogy planned. If that was true we’d assume that Chris Miller and Phil Lord would be handling that trilogy, it might give the impression the studio could be open to having directors return for other projects.

Even though it looks like they’re trying something different with the main saga films having a different director make each installment.

screen-shot-2016-11-22-at-6-09-35-pm

Seeing Gareth Edwards go from Rogue One to Boba Fett might be interesting considering the look he’s captured with his standalone, we’d hope to see that estheitic transfer over to the bounty hunter focused flick as well. Edwards doesn’t seem to have many other projects lined-up as it’s said that Michael Doughtery might be directing Godzilla 2.

Considering, the non-mainstream Star Wars film is tracking at a $100-140M domestic debut opening weekend, it’s possible they might ask him to stick around for a couple of other standalone films.

Have you seen this:
WB Has a Zatanna Project on the Horizon

screen-shot-2016-11-22-at-5-42-26-pmI wouldn’t be terribly shocked if Tony Gilroy (Michael Claton, Bourne Legacy) ends up getting involved with Fett due to his close involvement with Gareth Edwards’ Rogue One reshoots.

screen-shot-2016-11-22-at-5-53-00-pm

Rumors had also pointed to Joss Whedon taking over the film at one time, Whedon recently revealing to Complex he’d love to direct a Star Wars movie after seeing the footage from Rogue One.

“Do I want to make a Star Wars movie? Yeah. I was like, “I don’t want to make a Star Wars movie. Like, god dammit, why?” But I saw the trailer for Rogue awhile ago and I was like, “I want to do that.” To make a Star Wars movie and not be wed to the bigger picture.”

We do expect that Boba Fett is going to be the next standalone as it’s a side of the universe that hasn’t been tapped into just yet.

SOURCE: EW

Are you an Insider?News, reviews, & updates are just the beginning.

Don't miss out on your chance to win every month...

Just Missed!
Free GWW t-shirt!
Can't win' em all!
25% Off Insider Membership
So Close!
50% Off Insider Membership
Not today
50% Off GWW Shirt
Try again Tomorrow
25% Off GWW Shirt
Get your chance to win a prize!
Enter your email address and spin the wheel. This is your chance to win amazing discounts!
Our in-house rules:
  • One game per user
  • Cheaters will be disqualified.