Juan Antonio Bayona Exits ‘World War Z’ Sequel, Will He Direct ‘Jurassic World 2’ Instead?

Jan 12, 2016

SHARE THIS POST

There is now word from Variety that Spanish director Juan Antonio Bayona (The Impossible, The Orphanage) has exited Paramount’s World War Z sequel, which stars Brad Pitt. It sounds like the the option on the director just ran out of time, as he had been attached since 2013.

“Because of pre-existing film commitments, Bayona is not able to make ‘World War Z’ this year, and it is our ambition to do so,” Paramount said. “He is a wonderful director and we hope to work with him soon.”

jab

There had been a bit of a scuffle concerning the studio sort of strong-arming Juan into making the film, after learning there was serious interest on the part of Universal and producers to have the director make the follow-up to the billion dollar earning revival/reboot Jurassic World with Jurassic World 2.

Here is an excerpt from that original story from The Hollywood Reporter.

J.A. Bayona is squarely on board to direct [World War Z 2], though rumors surfaced recently that his involvement was on thin ice after being eyed to direct the Jurassic World follow-up. Sources say there was little Bayona could do given that he has a holding deal for World War Z 2, but the Jurassic World 2 overtures helped light a flame under Paramount to keep Bayona happy and get a new script in motion with the fanboy-friendly writer.

It’s possible that this other film commitment could be Jurassic World 2, which is said to have a release date of June 22nd, 2018. However, this is currently speculation due to Universal’s strong interest in him originally and now his sudden exit from the big Paramount project.

Have you seen this:
Lucy Liu Joins Shazam: Fury of the Gods as A Villain

SOURCE: VARIETY

Did you miss breaking news?We publish new content every day.

Get our daily summary and monthly recap so you never miss out...