Omega Underground has been one of the few outlets willing to cover news and break updates concerning Channing Tatum’s Gambit, mainly due to other sites not seeing it worth their time or feeling it will never come together. It looks like our reporting and updates on the project are being supported.
Last week, X-Men producer Simon Kinberg confirmed our reporting from earlier in the year that Gambit was still alive and now seeking directors, despite losing Gore Verbinski. We heard a lot of naysayers on that report which turned out to be true and wasn’t the only thing supported by others.
Yesterday, at the Deadpool 2 premiere Simon revealed to Variety another confirmation of sorts to Omega Underground’s Gambit reporting. That they are still eyeing a summer shoot for the film which we first reported back in February.
“We have a script that we love — that Channing loves,” Kinberg told Variety on the red carpet. “We’ve met with a bunch of directors in the last couple of weeks, and we’re hoping to actually pick one in the next couple of weeks and shoot the movie maybe the end of this summer.”
Kinberg says they might have a late summer shoot. We had learned that the original plan was to have cameras rolling by June 19th in New Orleans. A delay to August or September could happen, but until we have new information to support this we’ll assume June is still the plan (although, the June start hasn’t been confirmed)
New Orleans is still the main production locale for the X-Men spinoff and we will update with new production information as we get it.
On the director front, one of our hunches was confirmed too.
Omega Underground first spotted and posted a photo (long gone from the account) from Kong: Skull Island director Jordan Vogt-Roberts‘ Instagram account which had two Super Nintendo X-Men games and one Sega game. All three had Gambit on the cover (positioned to showcase the mutant hero?) and had him as a playable character. We theorized this was a cheeky tease that Jordan had met with or was about to met to direct Gambit.
Our hunch that Jordan was meeting for Gambit was then later confirmed by TheWrap.
Um, actually nobody is “in talks” to direct GAMBIT. @VogtRoberts had a meeting but so will 5 or 6 other directors.
— Umberto Gonzalez (@elmayimbe) May 7, 2018
Things apparently have been coming together behind the scenes with producer Channing Tatum and really only needs a director to execute his vision. Tatum is still attached for the titular role while it remains to be seen if Lizzy Caplan will stay on as the female lead.
I’m also holding out the hope that the recent revisions of the script was to allow them to add a rebooted version of Rogue. Considering we’ve really never had a comic book accurate version of the character and introducing her in Gambit would make sense considering her criminal past before joining the X-Men does mirror Remy’s.
A director announcement is likely incoming along with the rest of the film’s casting.
Fox had set the release date for Gambit for June 7th, 2019 but could likely be changed and is dependent on updated shooting dates.