Wes Ball’s ‘Mouse Guard’ Has Jack Whitehall in Talks to Join the Stacked Ensemble
20th Century Fox’s long-gestating adaptation ‘Mouse Guard’ has Jack Whitehall in talks to join the cast. David Peterson’s comics and graphic novel are the source material for the film.
Whitehall is popular for the series ‘Fresh Meat’ and BBC’s ‘Bad Education. He was recently in Disney’s ‘The Nutcracker and the Four Realms.’ This year, he will be in the Amazon miniseries ‘Good Omens,’ premiering May 31st. Next year, he has another Disney film: ‘Jungle Cruise,’ releasing July 24th, 2020.
The premise is below:
“Set in a medieval world and tells of an order of mice who are the sworn protectors of their realm. Enemies range from predators such as foxes and eagles to other rodents. A sort of ‘Game of Thrones’ with mice.”
The other cast members and their roles are below:
- Andy Serkis (‘Planets of the Apes’ trilogy, ‘Black Panther’)
- The villain Midnight, the Guard’s blacksmith who turns against it.
- Thomas Brodie-Sangster (‘The Maze Runner’ trilogy, ‘Godless’)
- Lieam, one of the Guard’s newest and youngest members who will be called upon to prove his bravery.
- Giancarlo Esposito (‘The Jungle Book,’ ‘Better Call Saul’)
- Conrad, an older mouse, who after a life of adventure on the high seas, joined the Mouse Guard as a member of their seaside outpost, Calogero.
- Idris Elba (‘Luther,’ ‘Avengers: Infinity War’)
- Celanawe, an Obi-Wan Kenobi-like figure who was once a legendary champion and now thought long gone.
- Samson Kayo (‘Timewasters,’ ‘Famalam’)
- Saxson, a lush and a scalawag, who has a fiery temperament and an inclination for melodrama.
If the deal closes, Whitehall will play Kenzie, the calm and measured staff wielder who is often paired with Saxson. The two are said to have a comedic Han Solo and Chewbacca vibe.
Sonoya Mizuno (‘Ex Machina,’ ‘Annihilation’) has a lead role in the film, but her character is unknown.
Based on the scoop from That Hashtag Show, who gave the report on Esposito’s casting, Elba is the replacement for Christian Bale, who was originally to going to play Celanawe.
Moreover, the movie will be using motion capture and will have WETA providing visual effects. WETA also did the ‘Planet of the Apes’ trilogy, and this film will have Matt Reeves producing, another ‘Apes’ alum. The film’s budget is reportedly around $150 million.
Further, Wes Ball, the helmer of the ‘Maze Runner’ trilogy, will be directing from a screenplay by Gary Whitta (‘Rogue One: A Star Wars Story,’ ‘Star Wars: Rebels’).
Additionally, the two crew members that have come aboard:
- Composer John Paesano (‘The Maze Runner’ trilogy, ‘Daredevil,’ ‘Marvel’s Spider-Man PS4’)
- Costume designer Mayes C. Rubeo (‘Avatar,’ ‘Thor: Ragnarok,’ ‘Jojo Rabbit’)
‘Mouse Guard’ will begin filming this May in Los Angeles, California.
The film currently does not have a release date yet.
Source: The Hollywood Reporter