There’s been a new found resurgence in the ‘Mortal Kombat’ franchise. The video game series currently boasts a stream of critically acclaimed entries (‘Mortal Kombat 11’ enjoys a healthy 82/100 rating on Metacritic) and a live-action reboot film is currently in post-production, releasing January 15, 2021.
Now, ‘Mortal Kombat’ is branching out into animation. The film ‘Mortal Kombat Legacy: Scorpion’s Revenge,’ from Warner Bros. Animation, is coming in the first half of 2020.
The full cast list is below:
- Ike Amadi (‘Voltron: Legendary Defender,’ ‘Trollhunters’) as Jax Briggs
- Steve Blum (‘Star Wars Rebels,’ ‘Young Justice’) as Sub-Zero
- Artt Butler (‘Star vs. the Forces of Evil,’ ‘Tangled: The Series’) as Shang Tsung
- Jennifer Carpenter (‘Dexter,’ ‘Batman By Gaslight’) as Sonya Blade
- Darin DePaul (‘3Below,’ ‘Shazam!’) as Quan Chi
- Robin Atkin Downes (‘How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World,’ ‘Ben 10’) as Kano
- Grey Griffin (The Loud House,’ ‘She-Ra and the Princesses of Power’) as Kitana and Satoshi Hasashi
- Joel McHale (‘Community,’ ‘Santa Clarita Diet’) as Johnny Cage
- Kevin Michael Richardson (‘Justice League vs The Fatal Five’) as Goro
- David B. Mitchell (‘Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles,’ ‘Scooby-Doo! Return to Zombie Island’) as Raiden
- Jordan Rodrigues (‘The Fosters,’ ‘Lady Bird’) as Liu Kang
- Patrick Seitz (‘ The Batman,’ ‘Justice League Action’) as Scorpion and Hanzo Hasashi
- Fred Tatasciore (‘Green Eggs and Ham,’ ‘Star Wars Resistance’) as Demon Torturer
Steve Blum, Grey Griffin, and Patrick Seitz are all reprising their roles from the recent run of video games. On the other hand, Kevin Michael Richardson will be reprising Goro, a role he has not played since the original 1995 ‘Mortal Kombat’ film.
Moreover, Ethan Spaulding (‘Avatar: The Last Airbender,’ ‘Batman: Assault on Arkham’) serves as director. The screenplay is from Jeremy Adams (‘Young Justice,’ ‘Teen Titans Go! Vs. Teen Titans’).
There has not yet been any word on where the new movie will release, but HBO Max would make the most sense.
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
Jacob Tyler contributed to this article.