Developed by Toadman Interactive.
Alpha build provided by Wonacott Communications.
I had an opportunity to spend a few hours with Immortal: Unchained - a PC game that’s launching on Steam at a yet to be determined date. The art design is quite different from most games I’ve played. It feels dark, apocalyptic, but mysteriously sci-fi. The difficulty is through the roof, which is not an unfamiliar or unwelcoming game characteristic nowadays. Plenty of games are adopting that approach and it’s quickly becoming it’s own genre. You’ll begin to hear of these games as “ultra-hardcore action RPGs”.
Take the role of a living weapon, unleashed to stop the source of a cataclysmic event threatening to end all worlds. Discover the secrets of these worlds, master the unique but lethal gun combat, and defeat legendary bosses.
Being an ultimate weapon, you have been locked up for millennia by those who fear your potential. It will require many harsh lessons to unlock this potential in an unforgiving universe full of murderous foes. On your journey, expect no mercy and no assistance: Those that aren’t trying to kill you, will instead try to use you to further their own agenda. Trust no one.
The first thing I noticed while playing the Alpha build is the difficulty. You’re armed with a melee and ranged weapon. Approaching an enemy with either of these, exclusively, will either get you killed, or weaken your ability to progress to the next enemy, as your firearms have limited ammunition. I quickly learned it’s critical to master combos between the two weapon-types and move around your enemy frequently. This fast-paced action is fun to do but also a bit frustrating when you die because you misread a queue.
- Explore futuristic fantasy worlds, and sift through lies to unveil their secrets, in a story written by a narrative team including Anne Toole (The Witcher) and Adrian Vershinin (Killzone: Shadow Fall, Battlefield 1).
- Tactical, up-close and personal action with a combination of ruthless gunplay and vicious melee combat.
- Annihilate legendary bosses in godlike clashes that will be remembered for eternity.
- Undying but unforgiving: Death is not the end, but the pain is very real as you struggle to redeem your mistakes.
- Delve into the vast possibilities of builds and weapon choices to find your own playstyle and defeat your opposition your way.