New Line Cinema’s ‘The Sopranos’ movie prequel ‘The Many Saints of Newark’ now has Leslie Odom Jr. onboard for a key role.
Before his breakout role in Lin-Manuel Miranda’s Broadway hit ‘Hamilton,’ he had roles in NBC’s ‘Smash,’ CBS’ ‘Person of Interest,’ and NBC’s ‘Law & Order: Special Victims Unit.’ He was recently in the CBS All Access series ‘One Dollar,’ and the Kenneth Branagh film ‘Murder on the Orient Express.’ He has a lot of projects on the way, with Takashi Doscher’s ‘Only,’ Sia’s ‘Music,’ John Ridley’s ‘Needle in a Haystack,’ and Kasi Lemmons’ ‘Harriet.’
The rest of the cast and their roles (that we know of) so far:
- Jon Bernthal (‘Widows,’ ‘The Punisher’)
- Vera Farmiga (‘Bates Motel,’ ‘The Commuter’)
- Ray Liotta (‘Goodfellas,’ ‘Shades of Blue’)
- John Magaro (‘Overlord,’ ‘The Umbrella Academy’)
- Billy Magnussen (‘Game Night,’ ‘Maniac’)
- Corey Stoll (‘House of Cards,’ ‘First Man’)
- Michael Gandolfini (‘Ocean’s 8,’ ‘The Deuce’)
- Tony Soprano, the younger role of the New Jersey kingpin that his late father James Gandolfini made legendary
- Alessandro Nivola (‘Selma,’ ‘You Were Never Really Here’)
- Dickie Moltisanti, the late father of Christopher Moltisanti (played by Michael Imperioli) and cousin of Carmela Soprano
Odom Jr.’s character figures directly into the conflict that involves Dickie Moltisanti.
Moreover, the premise is below:
“Set in the era of the Newark riots in the ’60s, when African Americans and Italian Americans in the city were at each other’s throats. That clash became lethal when it spread to gangsters of each group. The story focuses on Dickie Moltisanti (Nivola), a mentor to young Tony (Gandolfini) as his own father, Johnny Boy, was grooming his son on a pathway to organized crime prominence.”
Further, Alan Taylor, who helmed nine episodes of the original ‘Sopranos’ series, as well as seven episodes of HBO’s ‘Game of Thrones,’ serves as director. The screenplay is from series creator David Chase and producer Lawrence Konner.
Filming will begin on April 3rd and will wrap 18 weeks later, on-or-around August 7th. Locations will include various parts of New York and New Jersey.
The film will release on September 25, 2020, and is only up against an untitled Sony Animation film, at the moment.