Denis Villeneuve’s ‘Dune’ Begins Filming; Stephen Henderson Joins Cast; Hans Zimmer (‘Dunkirk,’ ‘Widows’) Will Compose Score
Denis Villeneuve’s ‘Dune’ reboot just got a press release today, and it confirms the cast thus far, a new actor, and a lot of crew members. Not only that the film has begun filming!
So, who’s the new cast member? Stephen Henderson! He is now onboard in an unknown role.
Henderson was recently in Kenneth Lonergan’s ‘Manchester by the Sea,’ Denzel Washington’s ‘Fences,’ and Greta Gerwig’s ‘Lady Bird.’ Then, he will be in FX’s ‘Devs,’ a new series from Alex Garland, the upcoming HBO series ‘Run,’ and Hulu’s ‘Wu-Tang: An American Saga.’
Now, the remaining cast and their roles:
- Timothee Chalamet as Paul Atreides
- Oscar Isaac as Duke Leto Atreides
- Rebecca Ferguson as Lady Jessica Atreides
- Stellan Skarsgard as Baron Harkonnen
- Dave Bautista as Glossu ‘Beast’ Rabban
- Charlotte Rampling as Reverend Mother Mohiam
- David Dastmalchian as Piter De Vries
- Jason Momoa as Duncan Idaho
- Josh Brolin as Gurney Halleck
- Javier Bardem as Stilgar
- Zendaya as Chani
Also, Chang Chen (‘Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon,’ ‘The Assassin’) is in talks to play Dr. Yueh.
Moreover, the premise is below:
“A mythic and emotionally charged hero’s journey, ‘Dune’ tells the story of Paul Atreides, a brilliant and gifted young man born into a great destiny beyond his understanding, who must travel to the most dangerous planet in the universe to ensure the future of his family and his people. As malevolent forces explode into conflict over the planet’s exclusive supply of the most precious resource in existence—a commodity capable of unlocking humanity’s greatest potential—only those who can conquer their fear will survive.”
Additionally, several crew members were confirmed, while new ones (in bold) were revealed:
- Cinematographer Greig Fraser (‘Rogue One: A Star Wars Story,’ “Vice’)
- Composer Hans Zimmer (‘Blade Runner 2049,’ ‘Dunkirk’)
- Costume designer Jacqueline West (‘Argo,’ ‘The Revenant’)
- Co-costume designer Bob Morgan (‘Inception,’ ‘X-Men: Days of Future Past’)
- Stunt coordinator Tom Struthers (‘The Dark Knight’ trilogy, ‘Dunkirk’)
- Production designer Patrice Vermette (‘Sicario,’ ‘Arrival’)
- Editor Joe Walker (‘Blade Runner 2049,’ ‘Widows’)
- Visual effects supervisor Paul Lambert (‘Blade Runner 2049,’ ‘First Man’)
- Special effects supervisor Gerd Nefzer (‘Blade Runner 2049,’ ‘Red Sparrow’)
Further, the Frank Herbert adaptation will film in Budapest, Hungary, at Origo Films Studios and various parts of Jordan. In fact, Origo Films Studios marks a return for Villeneuve, as ‘Blade Runner 2049’ was made there.
Meanwhile, the screenplay is by Villeneuve, Eric Roth (‘Forrest Gump,’ ‘A Star is Born’) and Jon Spaihts (‘Prometheus,’ ‘Doctor Strange’).
Warner Bros. and Legendary will release the film on November 20, 2020.
Source: Business Wire