Hulu is staying in the Marvel business. While Marvel’s ‘Runaways’ may have come to an end at Hulu, and their animated series Tigra & Dazzler is back to the drawing board, there are still other animated series being developed. Kevin Smith is bringing ‘Howard the Duck’ back to the limelight, while ‘Blades of Glory’ duo Josh Gordon and Will Speck are behind ‘Hit-Monkey.’ But it’s Patton Oswalt’s ‘M.O.D.O.K.’ that is coming out first. According to Deadline, the cast is filling out quite nicely.
The voice cast, and their roles, are below:
- Patton Oswalt (‘The Secret Life of Pets 2,’ ‘A.P. Bio’) as M.O.D.O.K.
- After being ousted from both his evil organization and his family, super villain M.O.D.O.K. (Mental Organism Designed Only for Killing) must reinvent himself if he ever wants the chance to win back the things in his life that are most important… outside of conquering the world that is. M.O.D.O.K. is about to find out that super heroes are nothing compared to his newest challenge… a midlife crisis.
- Aimee Garcia (‘Dexter,’ ‘Lucifer’) as Jodie
- Jodie, M.O.D.O.K.’s wife and mother to his children, has had a late-in-life awakening — excited to pursue her mommy-blog turned lifestyle-brand empire and discover who she is as an independent woman in her forties. There are just too many things to do in this world and not enough time to waste being held back by negativity. And unfortunately for M.O.D.O.K., the thing weighing her down the most… is him.
- Ben Schwartz (‘DuckTales,’ ‘Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles’) as Lou
- To be honest, M.O.D.O.K. doesn’t really “get” his twelve-year-old son Lou. Not athletic enough to be a jock. Not smart enough to be a nerd. Lou is… well, Lou — a kid who clearly marches to the beat of his own drum. Lou’s lack of friends, ambition and hygiene is a constant worry for M.O.D.O.K., who often projects his own insecurities onto his overly confident son.
- Melissa Fumero (‘Brooklyn Nine-Nine,’ ‘One Day at a Time’) as Melissa
- Even with her father’s “features,” seventeen-year-old Melissa has risen the ranks to become the Heathers-like queen bee of her school and a star in the world of teen figure skating. Every popular kid either wants to date her or avoid her terrifying wrath. But for all of her success, Melissa secretly yearns for her father’s approval.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey (‘The Goldbergs,’ ‘Bob’s Burgers’) as Monica Rappaccini
- Monica is a brilliant mad-scientist at A.I.M. and M.O.D.O.K.’s rival at work. Clearly more competent and qualified than M.O.D.O.K., Monica believes she should be running the organization. After GRUMBL acquires A.I.M., Monica relishes in M.O.D.O.K.’s suffering until the new management begins to infringe on her ungodly experiments. With a common enemy in Austin, M.O.D.O.K. and Monica are finally able to put aside their differences and work together… when they aren’t constantly betraying each other.
- Beck Bennett (‘Saturday Night Live,’ ‘The Angry Birds Movie 2’) as Austin Van Der Sleet
- After M.O.D.O.K.’s evil organization A.I.M. is run into the ground, he’s forced to sell it to silicon valley tech-giant GRUMBL. GRUMBL sends slick, twenty-something Austin as a “post-merger-integration-consultant” and M.O.D.O.K.’s new boss. Though M.O.D.O.K. wishes he could just zap Austin to the Negative Zone, M.O.D.O.K. must find new solutions to confront Austin’s corporate jargon-speak and frequent mandatory HR meetings, if he’s ever going to reclaim A.I.M. from Austin’s grip.
- Jon Daly (Big Mouth,’ ‘I’m Dying Up Here’) as Super Adaptoid
- A snarky android with ambitions to live, feel and create, but is instead forced to spend his days massaging the hoverchair sores on his creator M.O.D.O.K.’s scalp. Although the Adaptoid dreams of overwriting his programming and turning on M.O.D.O.K., there is also a begrudging friendship between these two.
- Sam Richardson (‘Veep,’ ‘BoJack Horseman’) as Gary
- Gary is a henchman or “beekeeper” at A.I.M. who is fiercely loyal to his boss M.O.D.O.K., even if M.O.D.O.K. struggles to remember his name. As M.O.D.O.K. continues to get demoted within his own organization, Gary is there by his side, always offering his help and unshakeable optimism whether M.O.D.O.K. wants it or not.
Showrunner Jordan Blum (‘Community,’ ‘American Dad!’) had this to say about the cast:
“I’m blown away by our insanely talented and hilarious voice cast, who have all brought their specific kind of magic to this weird and wonderful corner of the Marvel Universe.”
Here is the premise of the series, which will be stop motion via ‘Robot Chicken’ animation studio Stoopid Buddy Stoodios:
“The megalomaniacal supervillain M.O.D.O.K. (Oswalt) has long pursued his dream of one day conquering the world. But after years of setbacks and failures fighting the Earth’s mightiest heroes, M.O.D.O.K. has run his evil organization A.I.M. into the ground. Ousted as A.I.M.’s leader, while also dealing with his crumbling marriage and family life, the Mental Organism Designed Only for Killing is set to confront his greatest challenge yet: a midlife crisis!”
Needless to say, the show is shaping up quite nicely. And right now, this will still lead to the ‘Offenders’ miniseries, but with the the shake up on the TV side of things, anything can happen. Everything not on Disney+ looks like it will be under the new banner dubbed ‘Marvel TV Studios.’
One thing is for sure – this show doesn’t seem afraid to be weird, and that is definitely a good thing.
Jacob Tyler contributed to this article.