Joss Whedon’s HBO Series ‘The Nevers’ Adds Nick Frost, Denis O’Hare, Pip Torrens & More to Cast
HBO’s upcoming series ‘The Nevers’ from Joss Whedon now has twelve more actors onboard to round out its cast. Whedon will take on the roles of writer, director, executive producer, and showrunner of the series.
They all join Laura Donnelly (‘Outlander,’ ‘Tolkien’), who plays Amalia True, the most reckless, impulsive, emotionally damaged hero of her time. She is a menace to stuffy Victorian society, she would die for the cause and kill for a drink.
Without further ado, here are the new cast members and their roles:
Ben Chaplin (‘The Thin Red Line,’ ‘The Legend of Tarzan’)
- Detective Frank Mundi, who is big, gruff, and deeply moral. Detective Mundi trusts no one, least of all himself: his reputation for sudden violence (and excessive drink) is not unwarranted. So, Frank finds himself caught between the powerful, who ignore the the laws of the land, and newly empowered, who ignore the laws of physics.
Nick Frost (‘Fighting with My Family,’ ‘Into the Badlands’)
- Declan Orrun, aka The Beggar King, who is charismatic and brutal. Declan runs – or has a piece of – most of the low-level criminal activity in the city. He’s perfectly happy to help Amalia and her cause – and equally happy to sell them out. He backs winners, and the “Touched” are long odds.
Amy Manson (‘Once Upon a Time,’ ‘The White Princess’)
- Maladie, who is committed by her husband (and genuinely unstable). She’s been warped by a power she can’t understand, and tortured by doctors intent on finding its source. Thus, she now lives underground, runs a gang and is on an infamous murder spree. She affects a theatrical parody of a bedlam waif, but mad as she is, she’s a woman with a purpose.
Zackary Momoh (‘Seven Seconds,’ ‘Death in Paradise’)
- Doctor Horatio Cousens, who is one of the few successful West Indian physicians in London. Married with a young son, Horatio’s fortunes took a dark turn when he met Amalia and discovered his own ability. Now he works with her, and with the Beggar King, those who don’t care who is or isn’t “different.”
Rochelle Neil (‘Episodes,’ EA’s ‘Anthem’)
- Annie Carbey, aka Bonfire, is a career criminal who has the ability to control fire and is happy to hire it out. Came up rough, stayed that way, but she’s neither impulsive nor cruel – just looking out for herself. No matter who she works with or for, Annie trusts only Annie, and the fire.
James Norton (‘Black Mirror: Nosedive,’ ‘McMafia’)
- Hugo Swan, a pansexual posh boy whose charm has about five years left on its lease. Also, he runs a secret club and a side trade in blackmail. He’s devoted to fulfilling everyone’s worst impression of him – and fascinated by the “Touched.”
Denis O’Hare (‘American Horror Story,’ ‘Big Little Lies’)
- Dr. Edmund Hague, who is a gifted American surgeon. He uses his skills in the coldest, most brutal way possible. But it’s all in the name of progress!
Tom Riley (‘Da Vinci’s Demons,’ ‘Dark Heart’)
- Augustus “Augie” Bidlow, a sweet, disarming nerd and Lavinia’s younger brother. A keen ornithologist, Augie is happy to let his older sister take the reins of the family fortune. He finds the “Touched” unnerving, but is drawn to them by his increasing infatuation with Miss Adair, and by the schemes of his nefarious best friend, Hugo.
Ann Skelly (‘Vikings,’ ‘Death and Nightingale’)
- Penance Adair, Amalia’s (Donnelly) dearest friend, and one of the first women to join her cause. A devout – yet heretically progressive – Irish girl, Penance has genius for invention. She is delighted by her power, and her default is love and acceptance. But she’s firm in her moral sense, and will be guided by what’s right over what’s expedient every time.
Eleanor Tomlinson (‘Colette,’ ‘Poldark’)
- Mary Brighton, who is gentle but surprisingly resilient. Mary pursued her dream of singing on stage. A disappointing career and a broken engagement haven’t diminished her spirit. She’s going to be great, and she’s going to be very surprised how.
Pip Torrens (‘Preacher,’ ‘Patrick Melrose’)
- Lord Massen, who is staunch, unflappable and merciless in his defense of the British Empire. This former General, now Peer, may be the only man who sees clearly what havoc these few strange people can wreak upon the established order. Which he will protect, one way or another.
Olivia Williams (‘Dollhouse,’ ‘Counterpart’)
- Lavinia Bidlow, a wealthy spinster and champion of the “Touched.” Lavinia funds the Orphanage (where Amalia and many of the “Touched” live) through her vast family fortune. She is stern and old-fashioned, but as strong-willed and clever as anyone she confronts.
Moreover, the premise is below:
“An epic science fiction drama about a gang of Victorian women who find themselves with unusual abilities, relentless enemies, and a mission that might change the world.”
Whedon is famous for several different TV shows, and is back once again after six years. Such shows include ‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer,’ ‘Firefly,’ ‘Angel,’ and ‘Dollhouse.’ Additionally, he is one of the creators of ‘Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.,’ which will have its sixth season finale on August 2nd. On the film side, he is responsible for writing and directing the first two ‘Avengers’ films, and co-writing ‘The Cabin in the Woods.’
Filming is currently underway in London, England, and will wrap next February.
Further, we at the GWW previously reported production designer Gemma Jackson (‘Game of Thrones,’ ‘Aladdin’) has come aboard.
However, HBO has not set a premiere date for the series as of now.