The long-gestating ‘Space Jam 2’ now has Sonequa Martin-Green co-leading with LeBron James. She will play Kamiyah, LeBron’s wife. Kamiyah is the rock of the family and loves her three kids unconditionally. She is often the voice of reason when it comes to LeBron’s relationship with his second child.
Martin-Green is popular for her role as Sasha in the AMC series ‘The Walking Dead.’ She’s also had roles in CBS’ ‘The Good Fight’ and ABC’s ‘Once Upon a Time,’ and FOX’s ‘New Girl.’ She is currently leading the CBS All Access series ‘Star Trek: Discovery,’ which recently got a season three renewal. Next, she has the Netflix film ‘Holiday Rush,’ which is currently filming.
Thanks to That Hashtag Show, there are some new character breakdowns:
- Dom (Supporting; age 11-14; Black)
- Male or female, athletic and bright, Dom is LeBron’s 2nd child. Dom is a young basketball star in the making but is more interest in just being a kid and playing ball for fun. He has a special knack for video games and is desperate to connect with Dad on other things besides basketball, but struggling to find any common ground. Dom has a defiant streak that he/she mostly suppresses. Still it’s there in the subtext of all their interactions with their father. Will the help of the Looney Tunes, Dom and LeBron learn to foster a deeper personal relationship outside if and through their mutual love of the game. MUST HAVE EXCEPTIONAL BASKETBALL SKILLS.
- Malik (Supporting Male; age 30-39; Black)
- Malik is LeBron’s business manager, best friend and right-hand man. They grew up together in the same neighborhood and have been best friends since they were kids. Malik can often be found pacing the sidelines of LeBron’s games with his phone glued to his ear, hustling the next great step in LeBron’s career.
- Darius (Supporting Male; age 17, Black)
- Darius is LeBron’s oldest son and a star basketball player. Although he and Dom have their differences, he is protective over his little brother. Dom is very close with his dad and has dreams of one day playing in the league alongside LeBron as his teammate.
- Xosha (Supporting Female; age 7; Black)
- Xosha is LeBron’s youngest child and the apple of his eye. She loves sitting courtside and keeping track of her dad’s game stats. She is mischievous and often plays practical jokes on her dad. She’s strangely five steps ahead of him.
Also, Ice Cube’s son O’Shea Jackson Jr. (‘Straight Outta Compton,’ ‘Godzilla: King of the Monsters’) is part of the cast.
He made the confirmation on Twitter:
I apologize for missing mason and Ireland with @KamBrothers but I’m resting a groin injury so I can film Space Jam 2
— O’Shea Jack(Nichol)son (@OsheaJacksonJr) March 15, 2019
Moreover, Terence Nance (‘Random Acts of Flyness’) will direct, while James will lead the film like Michael Jordan did in the original. The screenplay, per the most recent update, is from Andrew Dodge (‘Bad Words,’ new ‘TMNT’ reboot). But, at this time, this is subject to change. Moreover, Ryan Coogler will produce with LeBron James. Coogler wrote and directed ‘Fruitvale Station,’ ‘Creed,’ and three-time Academy award winner ‘Black Panther.’
So far, the crew includes production designer Kevin Ishioka (‘The 15:17 to Paris,’ ‘The Mule’) and supervising art director Clint Wallace (‘Suicide Squad,’ ‘Ant-Man and the Wasp’).
Filming will begin on June 17th and is eyeing to wrap August 23rd in California.
Warner Bros. will release 25-year-later sequel on July 16, 2021.
Source: Variety and That Hashtag Show