Marvel Studios’ ‘Eternals’ Adds Barry Keoghan to Ensemble; Gemma Chan in Talks to Join Cast, Likely in New Role
The upcoming Marvel Cinematic Universe film ‘The Eternals’ now has Barry Keoghan part of the ensemble, and Gemma Chan in talks to join the cast. It seems Chan would play a completely different role, and not reprising Minn-Erva, from ‘Captain Marvel.’
Keoghan was recently in the HBO miniseries ‘Chernobyl,’ which just got nineteen Emmy Award nominations. Other credits include Yann Demange’s ”71,’ Yorgos Lanthimos’ ‘The Killing of a Sacred Deer’ and Christopher Nolan’s ‘Dunkirk.’ Next, he will lead the FX series ‘Y,’ premiering in 2020.
Chan had her breakout role in Jon M. Chu’s ‘Crazy Rich Asians,’ from last year. She was also in the AMC series ‘Humans’ and the BBC/Netflix miniseries ‘Watership Down.’ She will next appear in Daniel Alfredson’s ‘Intrigo: Dear Agnes.’
It is unclear who Keoghan is playing, but he could be Eros, aka Starfox. There is also a possibility Chan would portray Sersi.
Moreover, the rest of the cast and their roles are below:
- Salma Hayek (‘Frida,’ ‘The Hummingbird Project’) as Ajak
- Brian Tyree Henry (‘Atlanta,’ ‘If Beale Street Could Talk’) as Phastos
- Angelina Jolie (‘Salt,’ ‘Maleficent’) as Thena
- Ma Dong-seok/Don Lee (‘Train to Busan,’ The Outlaws’) as Gilgamesh
- Richard Madden (‘Game of Thrones,’ ‘Bodyguard’) as Ikaris
- Lia McHugh (‘The Lodge,’ ‘Into the Dark’) as Sprite
- Kumail Nanjiani (‘Silicon Valley,’ ‘Stuber’) as Kingo
- Lauren Ridloff (‘The Walking Dead,’ ‘New Amsterdam’) as Makkari
Lastly, Keanu Reeves (‘John Wick,’ Toy Story 4’) may be in negotiations for an unknown role, possibly Druig.
Some of the premise, given by The Hollywood Reporter, is below:
“One aspect to the story involves the love story between Ikaris (Madden), a man fueled by cosmic energy, and Sersi, who relishes moving amongst humans.”
Moreover, Chloé Zhao (‘The Rider’) will be directing, while the screenplay is from Matthew K. Firpo & Ryan Firpo (‘Ruin’).
Further, the crew, so far, comprises of:
- Cinematographer Ben Davis (‘Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri,’ ‘Captain Marvel’)
- Costume designer Anna B. Sheppard (‘Captain America: The First Avenger,’ ‘Spider-Man: Far From Home’)
- Editor Craig Wood (‘Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2,’ ‘Ant-Man and the Wasp’)
- Production designer Eve Stewart (‘Les Misérables,’ ‘A Cure for Wellness’)
- Special effects supervisor Daniel Sudick (‘Captain Marvel,’ ‘Avengers: Endgame’)
- Visual effects supervisor Stephane Ceretti (‘Guardians of the Galaxy,’ ‘Doctor Strange’)
Filming will begin in the United Kingdom on either September 9th or 16th, and wrap sometime in January 2020. Another location seems to be The Canary Islands, Spain, to make a prehistoric settlement on Teide.
Marvel Studios will release the film on November 6, 2020.