Matt Reeves’ ‘The Batman’ Enlists John Turturro to Play Carmine Falcone
From the man himself, writer-director Matt Reeves has announced that John Turturro will play Carmine Falcone in ‘The Batman.’ The character is a Gotham City gangster and adversary to the Caped Crusader.
Reeves took to Twitter to reveal the casting:
— Matt Reeves (@mattreevesLA) November 22, 2019
Turturro is popular for playing Jesus Quintana in Joel & Ethan Coen’s ‘The Big Lebowski (as seen in the GIF above). He will reprise the role in his feature directorial debut ‘The Jesus Rolls,’ releasing next year. Other credits (that are not movies from the Coen brothers) include Martin Scorsese’s ‘Raging Bull,’ Spike Lee’s ‘Do the Right Thing,’ and Michael Bay’s ‘Transformers.’
Moreover, the rest of the cast and their roles are below:
- Robert Pattinson (‘Good Time,’ ‘The Lighthouse’) as Batman.
- Paul Dano (’12 Years a Slave,’ ‘Prisoners’) as Edward Nashton, aka The Riddler.
- Colin Farrell (‘The Lobster,’ ‘Widows’) as The Penguin.
- Zoë Kravitz (‘Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald,’ ‘Big Little Lies’) as Catwoman.
- Newcomer Jayme Lawson as Bella, a grassroots political candidate running for office in Gotham.
- Andy Serkis (‘The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King,’ ‘Black Panther’) as Alfred Pennyworth.
- Jeffrey Wright (‘Westworld,’ ‘The Laundromat’) as Commissioner Gordon.
Reeves, the helmer of the ‘Dawn’ and ‘War’ installments in ‘Planet of the Apes’ franchise, serves as both director and co-writer, with scribe Mattson Tomlin penning the screenplay with him. Tomlin wrote the upcoming Netflix film ‘Power,’ from directors Henry Joost and Ariel Schulman.
Additionally, the film will feature a rogues gallery of villains. Characters that will be featured alongside The Riddler, Catwoman, The Penguin, and Carmine Falcone, include Firefly, Two-Face, and Mad Hatter. The casting for Two-Face, aka Harvey Dent, will be quite soon.
The crew, so far, comprises of:
- Cinematographer Greig Fraser (‘Rogue One: A Star Wars Story,’ ‘Vice’)
- Composer Michael Giacchino (‘Incredibles 2,’ ‘Jojo Rabbit’)
- Costume designer Jacqueline Durran (‘Beauty and the Beast,’ ‘Darkest Hour’)
- Editor William Hoy (‘300,’ ‘Watchmen’)
- Production designer James Chinlund (‘War for the Planet of the Apes,’ ‘The Lion King’)
- Visual effects supervisor Dan Lemmon (‘Dawn of the Planet of the Apes,’ ‘The Jungle Book’)
Also, costume designers David Crossman and Glyn Dillon (‘Rogue One: A Star Wars Story,’ ‘Solo: A Star Wars Story’) will be tackling the batsuit.
Further, filming is aiming to begin January 13, 2020 in London, England.
Warner Bros. will release ‘The Batman’ on June 25, 2021.
Source: Matt Reeves