20th Century Fox’s long-gestating adaptation ‘Mouse Guard’ is picking up traction again, with news regarding actors, filming and crew. David Peterson’s comics and graphic novel are the source material for the film.
First off, the premise is below:
“Set in a medieval world and tells of an order of mice who are the sworn protectors of their realm. Enemies range from predators such as foxes and eagles to other rodents. A sort of ‘Game of Thrones’ with mice.”
Now, onto casting! Here are the actors and their roles:
- Andy Serkis (‘Planets of the Apes’ trilogy, ‘Black Panther’) as the villain Midnight, the Guard’s blacksmith who turns against it.
- Thomas Brodie-Sangster (‘The Maze Runner’ trilogy, ‘Godless’) as Lieam, one of the Guard’s newest and youngest members who will be called upon to prove his bravery.
- Giancarlo Esposito (‘The Jungle Book,’ ‘Better Call Saul’) as Conrad, an older mouse, who after a life of adventure on the high seas, joined the Mouse Guard as a member of their seaside outpost, Calogero.
That Hashtag Show, who gave the Esposito scoop, are also stating the studio is looking to replace Christian Bale, who was originally to going to play Kelenaw, the mentor to Lieam.
Moreover, the movie is will be using motion capture and will have WETA providing visual effects. WETA also did the ‘Planet of the Apes’ trilogy, and this film will have Matt Reeves producing, another ‘Apes’ alum. The film’s budget is reportedly around $150 million.
Further, Wes Ball, the helmer of the ‘Maze Runner’ trilogy, will be directing from a screenplay by Gary Whitta (‘Rogue One: A Star Wars Story,’ ‘Star Wars: Rebels’).
Additionally, we now know of two crew members that have come aboard, thanks to HN Entertainment:
- John Paesano (‘The Maze Runner’ trilogy, ‘Daredevil,’ ‘Marvel’s Spider-Man PS4’)
- Mayes C. Rubeo (‘Avatar,’ ‘Thor: Ragnarok,’ ‘Jojo Rabbit’)
Lastly, while it was originally January, “Mouse Guard’ will now begin filming this May in Los Angeles, California.
The film currently does not have a release date yet.
Source: The Hollywood Reporter, That Hashtag Show and HN Entertainment