State of the Multiverse 2018
With the start of the 2017-2018 mid-season, it was time to sit back and think on the season so far and what’s to come. Kristel and I have both had some major ups and a couple downs from the last few months. Going to take this show by show of easy of viewing:
- Marvel’s Inhumans – The 8 episode run of this spin-off(ish) of Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. was very much a rollercoaster. There were moments where it had you cringing while there were moments that got you right in the Terrigen. Feelings are that it will not return for a Season 2, though personal thoughts are there might be some crossover with S.H.I.E.L.D.
- The Gifted – Great Scott!! Fox’s second foray into mutants (lest we forget FX’s Legion which I know Kristel can’t forget it) has been a nailbiter for the most part all season with its season finale coming very soon. It has already been renewed for Season 2. Will there be any crossover with Legion… who knows?
- Black Lightning – The CW’s next addition to the superhero universe will be starting this week (January 16) right after the return of The Flash. Lots of great press has been coming out for this and we are anticipating another excellent series.
- Krypton – Syfy will be entering into the game with its look into the history of the House of El back on the fated planet. The original series will focus on Seg-El, grandfather of Kal-El, as he deals with the ousting of the house and the threat of the death of the planet. Krypton will begin on March 21 on Syfy.
- Marvel’s Cloak and Dagger – The last of the new shows premiering this year will be on Freeform and will follow the titular pair as they learn about the abilities that have awoken within them and how they are better together than apart. No confirmed release date for the 10 episode run has been announced at this time but is still noted for early 2018.
- Supergirl – Year 3 of the CBS to CW series has been making a bit of a comeback. Many of the episodes this season have felt like those of Season 1 that first attracted viewers. We’ve gotten the emergence of a baddie that rivals Kara’s abilities and the appearance of the Legion of Superheroes. The remainder of the season should be interesting.
- The Flash – The season has definitely had some major events happen! Barry’s return from the Speedforce, the creation of a dozen new metas, and a villain that literally is outthinking Team Flash. The last episode saw Barry being arrested for murder so the mid-season will be shocking.
- DC’s Legends of Tomorrow – This show keeps getting better and better with every single episode. Between the Time Bureau, Mallus, and the events of the crossover with Firestorm it has been a wild ride. We need more episodes per season!
- Gotham – This season has opened many doors to the future of the series. It’s a longer winter break than the other shows, but worth the wait. We now have a young Bruce Wayne becoming what resembles a Batman then turning into a drunken punk, after breaking his no kill rule. Gordon is working his way to Comissioner.
- Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. – With a release of Inhumans at the beginning of the fall, Agents of SHIELD got delayed until December. From what I’ve seen so far of the season, this season is definitely out of this world (Pun very much intended)! Since the production of this season got rushed, I’m glad to see the excellent content but wonder where they are going from here.
- Legion – We are eagerly anticipating the sophomore season of the FX mutant drama. 8 episodes was just right for what content the show creators put out and we hope for more of the same. It was disturbing, psychological and a blast!! Season 2 is projected to be out in the next few months.
This year has brought us several enjoyable presents that will hopefully be coming back for more next year. Many of the shows are steady and very likely to be renewed for another season. Krypton, Black Lightning and Cloak and Dagger are still to be seen and we are hoping for more greatness with the rest of the current seasons. Keep tuned to our upcoming shows for more thoughts, updates and more!!